Broun Introduces Healthcare Overhaul: OPTION Act
FreedomWorks endorses, calls Broun’s OPTION Act best alternative to Obamacare
Mar 20, 2012 -
U.S. Congressman Paul Broun, M.D. (GA-10) today introduced legislation that will repeal President Obama’s Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and overhaul the United States health care system. Broun’s OPTION (Offering Patients True Individualized Options Now) Act, H.R. 4224, is endorsed and highly touted by the conservative group, FreedomWorks.
Congressman Broun said, “The OPTION Act is what true patient-centered health care reform looks like. It’s clear, it’s concise, and there are no tricks or budgetary gimmicks hidden in this bill – what you see is what you get. It completely removes government from the doctor-patient relationship, and it is the only health care bill that allows the patient to have full control of their coverage – even once they’re on Medicare. I urge my colleagues to pass this bill as soon as possible. Americans want a do-over on Obamacare, and the OPTION Act gives them the access to the affordable care they need.”
While Obamacare was a complex 2,700 page bill, Broun’s OPTION Act puts forward several important reforms in just 50 pages:
- Fully repeals the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act;
- Provides 100 percent deductibility for all health care expenses, including health insurance;
- Increases contribution limits and adds patient-friendly reforms to Health Savings Accounts;
- Moves Medicare to a more flexible premium assistance program;
- Allows consumers to purchase health insurance across state lines; and
- Makes it easier for groups to establish Association Health Plans, which would allow small businesses and other entities to band together to negotiate lower costs for their employees or members.
“Congressman Broun has authored a bold, timely, and principled plan that offers exactly what a majority of Americans want: patient-centered reforms, in place of the Democrats’ unconstitutional government takeover. FreedomWorks is excited to support this legislation because it is based on the tea party principles of individual liberty and constitutionally limited government. We’ll be mobilizing our 1.5 million grassroots members to help pass the OPTION Act.” – Matt Kibbe, President & CEO of FreedomWorks
Click here for a link to the full text of Congressman Broun’s OPTION Act.